Grated beets, crushed waluts and fresh dill. Combined with a homemade mayonnaise and horseradish.
Creamy Beet Salad
- 1 Large Egg Pasteurized
- 1/2 Cup Oil Avocado Oil Tastes Great!
- 1/2 Teaspoon Lemon Juice
- 1/2 Teaspoon Vinegar
- 2 Peppercorns
- 1/2 Teaspoon Dijon Mustard
- 2 Cups Beets Boiled and Grated
- 2-3 Tablespoons Mayonnaise
- 1/4 Cup Walnuts Crushed
- 2 Tablespoons Fresh Dill Stems Removed
- 1/2 Teaspoon Horseradish Optional
- In a blender cup or food processor, combine 1 egg, 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice, 1/2 teaspoon vinegar, peppercorns and mustard. Blend Until it begins to thicken slightly. Add 1/4 cup of oil to the blender at a time. Blending fully before adding the next 1/4. The final product should be thick, but spreadable. Season with a bit of salt your desired taste.
- Cut the stems from the beets and bring them to a boil in a pot, keep covered until cooked. To test if fully cooked, you should be able to puncture with a fork. Using a knife, Scrape the peal from the outside of the beets. Once they are cooked, it should be rather easy to peel. I would recommend using gloves or avoiding contact with the beets. The juices can stain your hands and work surfaces. I used plastic wrap to protect my countertops.
- Using a food processor with a grater attachment or a traditional grater. Grate the cooked beets into a bowl. Combine the grated beets with 2-3 tablespoons mayonnaise, 1/4 cup crushed walnuts and dill. Add a little horseradish if you'd like, for a little kick. Gently mix until combined. Garnish with dill and walnuts. Great side dish to serve with meats or seafood.
- Best served chilled. Would recommend placing in the refrigerator for an hour to set up.
Herring can also be added to this salad, but will add a fishy taste to it....obviously. Personal preference, but I prefer the salad without it.