Beautiful beehive shaped cookies made from Vanilla cookie crumbs and filled with a hazelnut butter rum.
To Purchase the Mold Click On The Image Below:
You will want to have this cookie mold on hand, because you will get asked to make this recipe again and again!
Czech Behive Cookies
- 12 Ounces Nilla Wafers By Nabisco
- 2 Ounces Crushed Hazelnuts or Walnuts
- 4 Tablespoons Cocoa Powder
- 3 Tablespoons Milk
- 2 Tablespoons Rum
- 2 Tablespoons Melted Butter
Butter Rum Filling
- 2 Tablespoons Rum
- 4 Tablespoons Softened Butter
- 1 Ounce Crushed Walnuts or Hazelnuts
- 1 Large Egg Yoke Pasteurized
- 1/2 Cup Powdered Sugar
HomeMade Nilla Wafers
- 1/2 Cup Butter
- 1 Cup Sugar
- 2 Cups Flour
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
Make the Behive Dough
- First crush up your Nilla wafers and nuts. Place them in a blinder and grind them as fine as you can. If you don't have a blender, place in a ziplock bag and crush them with a rolling pin.
- Next combine the crushed cookies, nuts and cocoa powder together. Mix Well to combine.
- In a small bowl, combine the rum, milk and melted butter together. Pour the mixture over the crushed cookie mixture. Use your hands or a fork to combine. the final product will be crumbly but stick together if rolled into a ball.
Form The cookies
- scoop up enough dough to make one cookie. Pack it into a ball and form a tear shape before pressing it into the mould. Use your pinky or the bottom cone shaped part of the mould to create a pocket in the center of the behive, where you will place the filling.
- Remove the cookie from the mould, fill the hole in the bottom with butter cream and place the behive filling-side-down on top of a Nilla wafer.
Making the Nilla Wafers
- Combine the butter, and sugar in a mixing bowl. Mix until smooth and no butter lumps remain.
- Add the salt, eggs and vanilla. Gently mix until combined.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the dry ingredients. Combine the baking powder, salt and flour together.
- slowly add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients in the mixing bowl until fully combined.
- roll the dough out on a floured surface to prevent sticking. About 1/2 centimeter in thickness. Use the bottom of the behive mould to cut circular cookies from the dough. Place them on a baking sheet and bake them for 15 minutes at 350 degrees, or until golden brown. Let them cool fully before placing the behive on top of the cookie.