Beautiful beehive shaped cookies made from Vanilla cookie crumbs and filled with a hazelnut butter rum.
To Purchase the Mold Click On The Image Below:
You will want to have this cookie mold on hand, because you will get asked to make this recipe again and again!
Czech Behive Cookies
- 12 Ounces Nilla Wafers By Nabisco
- 2 Ounces Crushed Hazelnuts or Walnuts
- 4 Tablespoons Cocoa Powder
- 3 Tablespoons Milk
- 2 Tablespoons Rum
- 2 Tablespoons Melted Butter
Butter Rum Filling
- 2 Tablespoons Rum
- 4 Tablespoons Softened Butter
- 1 Ounce Crushed Walnuts or Hazelnuts
- 1 Large Egg Yoke Pasteurized
- 1/2 Cup Powdered Sugar
HomeMade Nilla Wafers
- 1/2 Cup Butter
- 1 Cup Sugar
- 2 Cups Flour
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
Make the Behive Dough
- First crush up your Nilla wafers and nuts. Place them in a blinder and grind them as fine as you can. If you don't have a blender, place in a ziplock bag and crush them with a rolling pin.
- Next combine the crushed cookies, nuts and cocoa powder together. Mix Well to combine.
- In a small bowl, combine the rum, milk and melted butter together. Pour the mixture over the crushed cookie mixture. Use your hands or a fork to combine. the final product will be crumbly but stick together if rolled into a ball.
Form The cookies
- scoop up enough dough to make one cookie. Pack it into a ball and form a tear shape before pressing it into the mould. Use your pinky or the bottom cone shaped part of the mould to create a pocket in the center of the behive, where you will place the filling.
- Remove the cookie from the mould, fill the hole in the bottom with butter cream and place the behive filling-side-down on top of a Nilla wafer.
Making the Nilla Wafers
- Combine the butter, and sugar in a mixing bowl. Mix until smooth and no butter lumps remain.
- Add the salt, eggs and vanilla. Gently mix until combined.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the dry ingredients. Combine the baking powder, salt and flour together.
- slowly add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients in the mixing bowl until fully combined.
- roll the dough out on a floured surface to prevent sticking. About 1/2 centimeter in thickness. Use the bottom of the behive mould to cut circular cookies from the dough. Place them on a baking sheet and bake them for 15 minutes at 350 degrees, or until golden brown. Let them cool fully before placing the behive on top of the cookie.
If you don't have the mold, you can build a make-shift mold from an egg carton.