Packed with protein and flavor, falafels are a great low carb, gluten and meatless dinner option that will give you a satisfying feeling of being full.
Best served with a side of hummus and tzatziki for dipping.
- 13 Ounces Dried Garbanzo Beans 2 Cups
- 6 Ounces Onion
- 2 Cloves garlic
- 2.5 Ounces Chopped Cilantro 1 Cup Packed
- 2.5 Ounces Chopped Parsley 1 Cup Packed
- 1 Fl Ounce Lemon Juice 2 tablespoons
- 1 Fl Ounce olive oil 2 Tablespoons
- 1 1/2 Teaspoon Ground Cumin
- 1 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- Place dried garbanzo beans in a bowl of water for at least 4 hours to soak. While soaking, your beans should be continuously submerged. add additional water if needed during the four hour time period.
- After 4 hours of re-hydrating, strain off excess water.
- place all your ingredients in a food processor and blend until combined.
- Portion the mixture into small balls and fry in oil until golden brown on the outside.
There are a few ways to cook them. They can also be baked, air-fried or cooked in a pan on the stove top. Out of these alternative methods, I prefer to cook in a pan to get a nice browning on the outside and less fattening , but it depends on the amount of oil you want to use. For the oven, the falafels will need pressed into patties and brushed with olive oil on both sides flipping halfway through cooking. To cook in the air fryer, make sure they are sprayed or brushed with oil and cooked for 15 minutes or less at 250-275 degrees.